The Ancascocha Alternative trek is less traveled than the classic Inca Trails in Peru and is considered one of the “world’s Best Hikes by National Geographic. Inca remains and local communities are attractive aspects of this trek and the magnificent views of the Vilcabamba and Urubamba mountain ranges. This trek combines ecological zones with the exuberant flora and fauna deep valleys. The trail goes over the high passes (4400m), grasslands with unforgettable views of the magnificent mountain Salcantay (6270m), Mountain Humantay (5900m).
This trek is recommended for people who want to experience the nature and exploring the less popular trails to Machupicchu.
DAY 1: CUSCO-LIMAMATAMBO- SONDOR COMMUNITY-QUEULLACOCHA
We will pick you up early morning from your hotel in Cusco at 05:00am.We take a two hours drive through the villages Anta, Ancahuasi and Limatambo in our private transportation, then arriving to our starting point of our trek Sondor Valley. From here, the trail starts ascending slowly along the river for about 3 hours, and walking through the spectacular vegetation of Queuña (polelypis Incana), we reach an open area Lecheria (3500m) where we will have lunch. After a delicious lunch, we will continue around 3 hours to our campsite at Queullacocha (4200m).
- Maximum Altitude: 4200m
- Minimum altitude: 3300m
- Trekking distance: 10-11 km
- Estimate time: 6-7 hours
DAY 2: QUEULLACOCHA-ANCASCOCHA
After our energetic breakfast, we leave our camp and head to the high pass Accoqasa (4400m).It will take us approx. 3 hours. from where will enjoying the magnificent views of Salcantay Mountain (6270m) and Humantay mountain (5900m),slowly going down we will past small houses at Inca Rakay (4000m), a community of sheepherders in the high puna where we are going to have our lunch. After lunch, we will continue walking down through the Ancascocha valley with the spectacular view of Ancascocha Lake and the Urubamba mountain range. After easier downhill, we arrive at our campsite near the Ancascocha lake (3800m).From the camp we will have full view of Mt. Huyanay and the Silke Valley.
- Maximum Altitude: 4400m
- Minimum altitude: 3800m
- Trekking distance: 13-14 km
- Estimate time: 6-7 hours
DAY 3: ANCASCOCHA-CAMICANCHA-OLLANTAYTAMBO-AGUAS CALIENTES
Today we continue our hike downhill walk along the Silque River towards the sacred valley. On the way, we can see different species of flora and the famous orchid Masdevallia Veitchiana (wakanki orchid).After crossing many small bridges we will reach Camicancha Community (2700m) where we will have lunch with the spectacular view of snowcapped La Veronica. Here we will rest and have lunch then we will drive to the Ollantaytambo train station where we board a train that train take us to Aguas Calientes(2040m) Accommodation at the hotel choose hotel.
- Maximum Altitude: 3800m
- Minimum altitude: 2040m
- Trekking distance: 6-7 km
- Estimate time: 3-4 hours
DAY 4: AGUAS CALIENTES-MACHUPICCHU-CUSCO
We wake up early morning, have breakfast and then take one of the first buses to Machu Picchu. Where we begin a complete guided tour of the Inca citadel that will take, approximately three hours as your official guide walk you through the different sector of the citadel with the spectacular views of all Machu Picchu, the valleys and surround it. After that, you will have free time to explore the site on your own. Once you feel that you have seen every corner of the Machu Picchu, you will take the bus down to Aguas Calientes. From here, we take the train back to Ollantaytambo or Cusco and transfer to you hotel
SERVICE NOT INCLUDED:
- Pre departure briefing directly at your Hotel
- Transport: Private transportation from Cusco (hotel) to start of the trek. Private transportation from the end of the trek to Ollantaytambo. Train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes. Bus tickets from Aguas Calientes. Bus ticket from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes. Train from Aguas Calientes and private transportation from Ollantaytambo to Cusco (your hotel)
- Accommodation: Hotel in Aguas Calientes on the 3rd night (based on two people sharing one room)
- Meals: 03 breakfast, 03 lunches, 03 dinners + daily morning snack. food is includes pancakes, omelets, soup, fresh fruits, chicken,fish,meat,rice pasta and hot drinks including coca leaf tea which is very effective against altitude sickness. Teatime every afternoon (tea, coffee, and popcorn. We can also provide vegetarian meals and special diets. Just let us know in advance or during the briefing on the evening before the trekking.
- Every morning and afternoon warm water to clean yourself up.
- English speaking professional guide (two Guides for 8 people of over 8 people)
- Horsemen and horses to carry the tents,food,cooking equipment and your personal equipment such as mattress, sleeping bag and clothing to change. A maximum of 8 Kilos per person. An emergency horse in case someone needs help and is not able to continue walking.
- Camping equipment: Two people will always share a spacious four people dome igloo tent with plenty of spaces for your backpack. Cooking equipment dining tent kitchen tent, first aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle.
- One inflatable sleeping pad per person
- Toilet tents with biodegradable toilet facilities
- Filtered boiled water from 2nd day onwards
- Bio-degradable hand soaps
- Entrance fees to Machu Picchu
- First breakfast (day one)
- last lunch at Aguas Calientes(after Machu Picchu)
- Sleeping bag (25 US$ to rent) Entrance fees for Huyna Picchu mountain: If you would like to climb this mountain please tell us for which group (07:00am or 10:00am) in the remark field while booking additional cost would be US$ 25 and be paid at briefing.
- Tips: Please note that our company staff is well paid so feel free to tip or not as you wish.